Friday, October 24, 2008

Greetings from Sierra County!

Hey there!

In the immortal words of Austin Powers: "allow myself... to introduce myself..."

My name is Gina Kelley, and I've been the Director of Tourism here in Sierra County for the past year. I've lived in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico for 3 1/2 years, but I love every square inch of Sierra County.

I grew up in northern San Diego County, in beach towns that used to be considered "small". Well folks, there's not a whole lot of "small" left on the coast of Southern California. Every time I go back there to visit the kin folk I count my blessings that I live in Sierra County.

I spent many years living in San Francisco and in Hawai'i. So if I throw in the occasional Chinese or Hawaiian word into my blog, fear not. It's not because I'm trying to impress people, it's because this is how I actually think. Scary, isn't it?

This won't be a typical "come to my County because it's so special" kind of blog. Even though I think that Sierra County is pretty darn special, I was always taught that gloating is an indication of a poor upbringing. So this will be about real life travels through the County, the things that we who live here do for fun.

Every week I'll fill you in on what new, exciting or just plain strange things are going on in Sierra County. Trust me, I have lots of material to draw on.

A hui hou*,

Gina
*a hui hou is a Hawaiian phrase that roughly translates into English as "see you later". There's your first Hawaiian language lesson!